Thursday 27 September 2007

Volunteer now! Volunteer!

Hey, I'm your new volunteer from Estonia. No-no, not Espanja - Estonia. No-no, not Russia Estonia. Yes, it is a little country in the north of Europe with a population less than in San Jose.
I go to the hospital every day from 8am till 3pm. Every day there are new ladies who have come to make the children happy - I'm the only one being here every day. The hospital stuns you with all the marvelous pictures hanging on the walls - all done by children. "Is that something I could do with them?" is the first question passing my mind. Already eager to do big things - to change the world.
I know the rules, and the biggest rule for me is that I'm a volunteer. My job is playing with the children and not running around with an important look, stethoscope hanging around my neck. I must admit that one day I was quite sad seeing all my colleges doing the things I am used to do. But today I experienced something which is much more pure and makes you feel even better than being important professionally. And that is called happiness. On Friday I was holding a baby for the whole day - a little bit doubting in my function, because the baby was so content and quiet without me as well. Today I got to know that she probably has no parents and that she's crying all the time while left alone. She is probably the most beautiful baby I have ever seen - laying on my lap, looking at me with her big brown eyes shining, smiling. She is lot-lot better today than on friday. and what is most important, she is so happy and content being with me that she even falls asleep. So you just look at her. And look. And look. And you feel happy, really happy for making the day better for this little soul. And actually feeling as if you are the mother of the child. It´s an amazing feeling....

No comments: