Thursday 20 September 2007

Getting along in your hometown

So today I had my first day at the hospital. I was supposed to be there at 10am. So I was there at 9am cuz this way I could get there by car. More easy for not getting lost.
I go around the hospital area, hearing all kind of "Que linda es usted!" ja "Que guapa!"-s. And of course, couldn´t escape without a "Machita!" So as I don´t know where to walk anymore, I just stand in front of the gate of children´s hospital, waiting for a girl from the organisation to meet me. Soon I´m feeling a little bit weird, being in the centre of attention of every single male person. Later I feel like a object of tourism already - everyone just staring at you like a miracle from heaven, men almost crawling out from the car-windows. I wonder how much more till I dye my hair black...
So, Mariel is here on time. But still I have to experience the tico-time - the woman in judge of my project is 1,5 hours late without even saying a word like "sorry." Otherwise it´s ok. Tomorrow I´ll start working, there are 3 other volunteers from Canada, USA and Switzerland :) That´s a good news!
Today is a really nice weather and I decide to take a cup of coffee with a friend. Of course it starts to rain hard just when I have to go home. AND, yes, I know that I have to take a bus to Heredia nd from Heredia another bus to home. If I only knew where home is. I get to the centre of Heredia, walk and look and ask, getting all wet in the rain. And finally my new mom has to fetch me in the town. So that´s what I mean with making good impression on my first day :P

No comments: